The largest mechanical puppet ever constructed in Britain is coming to the Volvo Ocean Race Cardiff
If you missed the largest mechanical miner ever constructed in Britain when it made its way across Wales last April, then you are in luck.
The Man Engine is a 36ft tall miner powered by Volvo, so it makes sense that he will be making a visit to the Ocean Race Stopover Festival as part of it’s 2018 Resurrection Tour.
The huge mechanical giant, which is part man, part machine is coming to Cardiff from Saturday 9th June at 6:15pm.
Described as an “engineering miracle,” the Man Engine was created by Golden Tree Productions in Cornwall as a striking tribute to mark the tenth anniversary of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape being added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
Powered by Volvo’s L220 wheeled-loader, the Man Engine’s performance will begin at 6.15pm which will be followed by musical performances by brass bands.
The Cardiff Stopover village has already attracted over 100,000 visitors in it’s first week with a packed programme of free activities over half term and the Nofit State Circus’ new production Lexicon. The second week promises even more .
Here are just some of the things you will find at the festival…
- 3D cinema –The chance to get an insight into the race itself with a cinema experience in The Globe.
- Ocean Workshops –You can take part in a variety of fun-filled workshops from the National Marine Aquarium, Cardiff University and more.
- Selfie –Impress your friends with a selfie behind the wheel of a replica Volvo Ocean-65 racing yacht.
- Street Food –Grab yourself some delicious street food and enjoy live music on the waterfront every day from 12.30pm.
- NoFit State Circus– Try your hand at static trapeze, juggling, uni-cycling and more, thanks to Organised Kaos Youth Circus workshops.
- What’s Sup!– Get out on the water with trained coaches for a taster session in sailing and stand-up paddle boarding.
- Free Skateboarding sessions throughout half term Spit & Sawdust will be taking over the plaza skate park with CSC (Cardiff skateboard club to offer some free tuition on the transition.
Tickets are FREE and at 11.2 metres tall, he is sure to impress.
Location – Queen Alexandra Dock
Thursday 7th June Pro-Am Race – Estuary
1.20pm – Lock Out
2.00pm – Race Start
Friday 8th June In Port Race – Estuary
1:30pm – Lock Out
2:30pm – Race Start
Saturday 9th June Pro-Am Race – Cardiff Bay
1:30pm – Race Start
Sunday 10th June Leg Start
3:00pm – Lock Out
4pm – Race Start
Feature image – Mike Thomas