For the first time in its celebrated history, the Volvo Ocean Race will be docking at Cardiff. This is the race’s only UK stopover this year, so it’s important that we show our support and give the teams a big Welsh welcome! A free festival is going to be held at Cardiff Bay from 27 May to 10 June to mark the occasion. With the first week of the event taking place during half-term, it’s going to be a brilliant family day out.
Since 1973, the Volvo Ocean Race has provided the ultimate test of a team and a human adventure like no other. This year the race will take the teams around the world, across four oceans and twelve landmark host cities. Following the fleet’s departure from Newport (Rhode Island, USA – that is!), they are due to arrive in Cardiff on 28 May.
The Race Village at the Volvo Ocean Race Cardiff Stopover will be open at Cardiff Bay Barrage from 10 am to 7 pm on Sunday 28th May .
Here are just some of the things you will find at the festival…
- 3D cinema – The chance to get an insight into the race itself with a cinema experience in The Globe.
- Ocean Workshops – You can take part in a variety of fun-filled workshops from the National Marine Aquarium, Cardiff University and more.
- Selfie – Impress your friends with a selfie behind the wheel of a replica Volvo Ocean-65 racing yacht.
- Street Food – Grab yourself some delicious street food and enjoy live music on the waterfront every day from 12.30pm.
- NoFit State Circus – Try your hand at static trapeze, juggling, uni-cycling and more, thanks to Organised Kaos Youth Circus workshops.
- What’s Sup! – Get out on the water with trained coaches for a taster session in sailing and stand-up paddle boarding.
- Free Skateboarding sessions throughout half term Spit & Sawdust will be taking over the plaza skate park with CSC (Cardiff skateboard club to offer some free tuition on the transition.
You can buy tickets on the day for a range of activities, including a climbing wall, zip wire and the opportunity to get a birds-eye-view of the action from a big wheel. Also, it’s the only chance to see the NoFit State Circus performance ‘Lexicon’ in Wales.
Why not book a teambuilding session?
It’s the ultimate challenge for friends or co-workers to attempt something new, in a fun and unique environment. Teams will be take part in an array of sailing challenges, explore the Race Village with a tour guide and even get the chance to experience ‘Try Sail’ sessions, excellent for those who want to onto the water with a specialist coach!
Ocean Race Hospitality
Also, bookings are now being taken for memorable hospitality experiences in the Wales Pavilion. Situated in the heart of the Race Village, it boasts views of the racing in both the Bay and Estuary, to experience the race up close! Plus guests can enjoy food, drink and entertainment whilst gaining insights from the Volvo team and live race action will also be streamed onto the screen in the marquee